Sunday, December 29, 2019

After a nine year hiatus!

Hello blogosphere!

I'm back after a nine year hiatus! And oh boy, has my life changed a lot in those years.

I graduated Marquette University in 2014 with my MSN (and a 4.0! W00t), and practiced for about three years at Sunrise Pediatric ER in Las Vegas, Nevada. I also had taught nursing school--specifically the pediatric clinical rotation to nursing students in Henderson, Nevada. Then I decided I wanted to pursue something more...

I'm currently a third year student at Des Moines University, an osteopathic medical school in Des Moines, Iowa. I am actually rotating in Tinley Park, IL to complete my third year of rotations. My next rotation begins tomorrow, which is endocrinology. I have already completed two family medicine rotations, pediatrics, internal medicine, and emergency medicine. This will only be a two week rotation for me as during the remaining two weeks I'll be taking a short leave of absence to get a tonsillectomy. I had nine instances of pharyngitis (not just strep, other fun bacteria too), and am getting them out (hopefully the week of the 13th of January 2020).

I am considering strongly pursing internal medicine/pediatrics as my specialty. I am deciding to do a combined residency since I want to help out both adults and children, and since I gravitate toward providing care for medically complex patients which is not just seen in pediatrics alone. I also will continue to love hospital medicine, which is where I would love my career to end up. Doing this residency will open up lots of options for fellowships in the future too.

Because I'm a glutton for punishment, I'm also pursuing a MPH (Masters of Public Health) degree at the same time as my DO (Doctor of Osteopathy) degree. I have finished 25 credits of it, and am planning on doing 6 more credits this coming semester. My concentration is Public Health Policy. I will be starting on my capstone project with the Chicago Department of Public Health, working with their STI/HIV division :)

Now the question for the blog, readers: Do you know someone who decided to pursue a dual degree? What did they think about it? Do you know someone who did IM/Peds? (Would you send them my way to talk with them?) :P

Hope to post more soon.
Phil

No comments:

Post a Comment